5 Benefits of ZincFive Nickel-Zinc Batteries
Our electrified world demands safe, sustainable battery storage to maintain mission-critical applications like data centers and aviation. Zinc battery chemistry is a game changer for the energy space. Nickel-zinc (NiZn) batteries are the powerful, reliable, and safe choice for the future. In addition, as sustainability becomes a top priority across major markets and corporations, zinc battery technology emerges as the new “power player”, challenging its predecessors lead-acid and lithium-ion.
Here are five main reasons why we can safely make this strong statement:
- Higher power and smaller footprint: Nickel-zinc batteries have twice the power density of lead-acid batteries. For the same level of backup power, nickel-zinc is about half the size and half the weight. This shrinks your energy storage footprint so your can plate more batteries wherever they are needed. High power density means rapid charge and discharge rates so you can power the data center, capture renewable energy, control peak loads, and rapidly charge EVs.
- Reliability: Nickel-zinc batteries are reliable, they can take the heat, with their wide operating temperature range. Plus, an operating life up to three times longer than a lead-acid battery. Even a bad cell won’t stop a nickel-zinc battery from discharging, unlike lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries where a single cell failure, for example, can disable a storage system.
- Safety: While lead exposure is a global health concern and lithium’s reactivity to air and water makes it a fire hazard, nickel-zinc batteries are safe, non-toxic and non-flammable (they don’t exhibit thermal runaway). They can reliably deliver more power faster, at high temperatures, and do it safely, year after year. This means less protection, lower costs, and, most importantly, peace of mind.
- Sustainability: Nickel-zinc batteries are sustainable. They use common, highly available, conflict-free materials which are also highly recyclable. Nickel and zinc are four and five times more abundant in the earth’s crust, respectively, than lithium and lead. A third party expert analysis supports the sustainability claims. One of the leaders in innovation and delivery of nickel-zinc batteries, ZincFive, has partnered with an independent firm to conduct this analysis to demonstrate that nickel-zinc batteries have a significantly lower end-to-end climate impact than lead-acid and lithium batteries. As evident by the data in the report, nickel-zinc batteries ranked higher than lead-acid and lithium-ion chemistries in several criteria including avoided greenhouse gases (GHGs), carbon return on purchase and carbon payback time.
- Scalable: Using a sustainable supply chain also makes a technology more scalable. More common elements = more scalability. This means the ability to scale up deployment of production factories in less time. The technology can be produced using manufacturing lines already producing similar chemistries.
To sum it up, with long life, reliable operation and low maintenance, nickel-zinc batteries can lower the total cost of ownership, safely reduce energy storage footprint, all while maintaining complete safety and helping the environment.
Learn more about how nickel-zinc batteries and power solution redefine immediate power for data centers, intelligent transportation systems, industrial engine starting, information technology, microgrid and EV charging, and more.